As one of the most popular MOBA game, League of Legends attracts huge numbers of game players. I’m also a big fan of the game. However, recently, the C drive where the LOL game located is almost full. And the slow HDD caused bad gaming performance. I have to move League of Legends to another drive which I just bought, a faster SSD.
Never ask me why not re-download League of Legends and perform a fresh installation. The size of the game download is up to dozens of GBs. I won’t take so much time to download it again.
If you are having a hard time moving League of Legends to another drive, you are not alone. In this article, you can learn how to move League of Legends to another drive or SSD with ease. Actually, not like many applications, the game runs well when you simply move the game folder.
Move League of Legends to another drive through copying and pasting
League of Legends is a multiplayer online game that is developed by Riot Games. You can play this game on Windows and macOS. The game comprises a freemium model and is played by millions of users all around the world. As compared to other games, it contains more features and is loved by many people.
In order to move LOL to another drive, here is another method that you can try. 100% works and I have tested it. However, please don’t remove the drive when transferring.
* Go to the folder where your game is installed. In general, the path is C:\Riot Games\League of Legends. Now right-click it to copy or cut the folder.
* After that, go to the E: drive or any drive where you want to move your game and paste it.
* Then open League of Legends folder in the new location, and double-click LeagueClient.exe game launcher.
Next, it will start Riot game client automatically. You need to login first. However, if you checked “Stay signed in” option, you can go into LOL main interface directly.
Finally, enjoy League of Legends in the new drive.
Note that the launcher will patch leaked updates every time and just wait for it done. Then click Play button to start the game.
Move League of Legends to another drive through reinstalling safely
Sometimes copying your files and pasting it into the new drive doesn’t provide you the same results. You may have to reinstall League of Legends in the new drive, though it will take many hours time. Reinstalling League of Legends tends to solve most technical issues.
Uninstall League of Legends
* Open Settings app and select Apps option.
* Select League of Legends game and click Uninstall button to implement uninstallation. After that, you can also delete all files in the directory where LOL was installed (C:\Riot Games by default).
* Now go to the official website and download the game client again.
Install League of Legends to Another Drive
* After the downloading, run the “Install League of Legends na.exe” (here I choose the NA server). During the installation process, follow the steps as normal.
* It will show you the path C:\Riot Games\League of Legends. So, change it to where you want to install the League of Legends. In case, if you want to install it in the D drive, then choose the path as D:\Riot Games\League of Legends.
* Then launch League of Legends client by double click the shortcut in the Desktop. Log in with your account and then it will download game components automatically until entering the PLAY interface.