As we know, uninstalling a program on Windows does not clear their accompanying files off your hard disk. Over time, these leftover files will eat up the drive space or cause the unexpected effect. In this article, I’ll take you a through step by step guide on removing leftover files after uninstalling software on windows 10. I’ll also give a few aids through which you can dispose of those files on your PC.
The Cleanup Process
As I said earlier, there are two significant ways to clear these files on your PC. You can do it manually from the control panel. As the name implies, this involves a manual step by step process.
Method 1: Manual Cleanup Using Control Panel
Step 1: Use Control Panel to uninstall any Program of your choice
- Go to the search box of windows 10 on your PC and type the control panel in the search box and then click the app of your choice from the search result.
- Go to programs (they should be arranged by category)> Programs and Features.
- Zero in on the program you want to remove and right-click. On the options, click Uninstall or Uninstall/Change.
Step 2: Delete the Remaining Files and Folders
At this stage, you already got the program off your PC – not quite. You only uninstalled the program, but unlike the actual employee, this program does not take its stuff along. So the best step is to clear your PC if any leftover files from the program. What you need to do is to check your program files and app data. Check folders like %programfiles% and %appdata%.
- Put these folder names in your search bar, and press enter to open them.
- As you go through those folders, check for ones that have the name of the program you just uninstalled. Once you see these folders with the title, delete them immediately.77
Step 3: Remove App Keys from Windows Registry
Another place you need to visit is the windows registry. More often than not, the program does not wipe from the windows registry when you uninstall it. You have to go back to the registry to take it out.
You however need to take some caution here. It’s advisable to back up your registry just in case a mistake occurs. In most cases, uninstalling a program doesn’t remove the program from the Windows Registry, which could increase the size of the Registry. So, you should delete the Registry keys.
- Open your registry pressing win+R. Type in registry and press ok.
- Check for the following keys: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software, HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software.
3. If you find the key that bears the name of the uninstalled program, delete it.
Step 4: Empty Temp Folder
This is the last step of the process. It is especially advisable to clear out the Temp folder that contains all the temporary files. This is a safe process for the mental health of your PC. These are the steps to take:
- Go to your search bar and search for %temp% and temp one by one in the search bar of Windows 10.
- Clean out temporary files.
Right now, after finishing the above four steps, you can effectively remove leftover files after uninstall.
Method 2: Use third-Party Clean Up Apps
This is a more straightforward way to clean out leftover files. Using apps to clean out these files is almost automatic. Here are a few apps you can use to clean out those files.
REVO UNINSTALLER PRO
Revo Uninstaller Pro is an excellent premium app. It is an app that has all the features you need to remove software leftovers effectively. The Uninstaller tool is the kind to list all the installed programs and components for all users and current accounts.
Picking your choice of view, you can see all information on all programs and their components in the same way. That way, you don’t have to keep searching for files and folders like the manual method. This program also gives you the registry entries, program properties, and links to the manufacturer’s website for each file.
Revo Uninstaller Pro works with super-smart algorithms that smoke out leftover files in windows services, no matter where they are hidden. These files range from program settings, file extension drivers, to mention but a few. The program also has a light version. This helps to conserve space on your PC.
IObit Uninstaller is another fantastic program to clean up leftover files. It’s a fast cleaner for your computer that takes discretion on any unwanted programs, Windows apps, and plug-ins. Its upside is that its features help simplify the uninstallation of programs and automatically scans your PC to make sure that all leftover files are taken out.
Here’s an outline of its selling points.
- Takes out unwanted programs to unclog the disk space and optimize the overall performance of the PC
- Detect and indicates all malicious programs, including adware in real-time, and helps you clear them out in a simple way.
- It takes discretion and cleans out all leftovers of programs automatically.
- Has a more potent force in stubborn leftover files by relying on them where other uninstallers find it challenging to delete such files.
- Periodically updates all your software
- Tracks system changes during the installation of the program.
The software freedom of this program is quite impressive, as well as its user-friendly functionality providing the opportunity to tune the program to detect and eliminate precisely the elements that you want to take out. This program makes it possible to clean out empty keys and other registry components. The app also reveals how many tracking cookies your browsers have accumulated and clean them out. The program also helps to deactivate any program that activates once you startup. Of course, it completely takes out any leftover files or services. It also has an excellent scanning feature that schedules periodically.
Reimage is a program that analyzes every file on your PC within minutes. It is a proactive program that repairs damaged apps before they begin to cause freezes on your PC. This repair includes all damage from viruses. Even when cleaned, viruses leave files in your PC that takes space in your disk. Reimage cleans these files out. Even when you tamper with your system and things are messed up, this program can take the settings right back to default, restoring the quality of things.
This is another excellent program for cleaning temporary files. It has several features, one of which is the ultimate defense. This program protects every complete program with added layers of protection. This program still has the typical registry cleaners for both the regular and pro versions. The program goes further by protecting the device from malware. It also comes with a password manager for browsers and anti-virus.
The program also comes with quick or deep scan features. Either way, both scans don’t take so long to get leftover files out. The scan features do not affect the CPU so other tasks in the PC can keep working in the background while the scan runs on the PC.
Finally, cleaning out useless files on your PC is healthy for your system. You should clean out these files from time to time to make sure that your hard disk is healthy.