When you are upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 to gain protection for your stored data then you’re worried that your precious files can be lost in this process during transfer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Windows 7 has preinstalled functions to transfer these files into Windows 10. These files can be transferred by using the Windows Easy Transfer and Back up & restore.
Before getting started, there is one big issue you can face, as Microsoft has removed Easy Transfer on Windows XP and Vista. So, if you need to transfer the files to these Windows then you can download Windows Easy Transfer program from third-parties. Luckily, if you’re using Windows 7, 8 then Windows Easy Transfer is installed on these Windows. But if you’re using XP or Vista you first need to download this program before files transfer.
In this article I’ll guide you step by step for the migration of files to Windows 10 from Windows 7.
Part 1. Transfer files from Window 7 to Windows 10 using Windows Easy Transfer
Which files you can transfer by Windows Easy Transfer:
- User Accounts
- Videos and Music
- Browser Bookmarks
Here is the step wise detail for transferring data to Windows 10 from Windows 7 by using Windows Easy Transfer.
Run Easy Transfer on Windows 7
- Copy migwiz folder from File Explorer in Windows 7 to the USB flash drive from this location:
- You can also upload this folder to your google drive for later use.
- On Windows 7 search for Windows Easy Transfer and open it, it will show all the data which will be transferred to new Windows 10.
- Then click the next button.
- A Network option is for “What do you want to transfer Windows 7 to Windows 10 via the Network“.
- Select “An external hard disk or USB Flash Drive” option for what do you want to transfer files to your new Windows 10.
- Click on “This is my old Computer” option and you’ll see the Windows Easy Transfer Key. Note down this key and keep it safe this will be used in Windows 10.
- Choose what you want to transfer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and then Click Next.
- It will ask you for a password so that files and settings can be saved in Easy Transfer safely. You can also leave it blank and click Save.
- Now files and settings will be saved from Windows 7 to an Easy Transfer file. Then finally click Next and you’ve successfully saved your files to be transfer to Windows 10 from Windows 7.
Run Easy Transfer on Windows 10
- On your new computer with Windows 10, insert the USB Flash Drive which contains migwiz folder in it. Copy this folder to your computer’s hard disk.
- Open Migwiz folder and launch the Migwiz.exe.
- A window will be opened, Just Click Next and select the option “An external Hard Disk or USB flash Drive“.
- Then click on “This is my new computer“.
- Now two options will appear “Yes” and “No“. Select Yes if you have copied the migwiz folder to the USB. If you have pasted or moved this folder in your Windows 10 PC already then click No.
- When you click on Yes then browse option appear and you’ve to locate the location of your migwiz folder in your USB flash Drive. Click on the file and then click Open.
- Now choose the files you want to move from Windows 7 to Windows 10. You can also customize the files and can choose the files you want to be moved on your new Windows 10 PC. After checkboxes then Click on Transfer. The Windows 10 will start transferring Windows 7 to Windows 10. This can take time depending upon the size of the data.
- Two options will appear you can see which files were transferred and can also check list of programs which your files contain that can be installed to your new Windows 10 PC. Simply click Close and all your files and settings are transferred from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
Part 2. Move files off a Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 using Backup and Restore
Windows Backup and Restore feature help0s you move all your favorite files off a Windows 7 PC to Windows 10. If you’ve an external storage device then this is perfect option for you. Let’s see how you can move files by using this amazing Backup and Restore feature of Windows.
Creating Backup File on Windows 7 PC
Follow these steps on your Windows 7 PC:
- Open Control panel from start menu and then select System and Security>Backup and Restore.
- Now select “Set up Backup“.
- Connect your external storage device to the system and click refresh.
- Choose External storage Device under Backup Destination and click on Next.
- Select Let me choose>Next. In default settings all the Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos will be backed-up. But when you expand the locations you can add extra files from Computer and can choose folders to backup.
- Now unselect the checkbox saying “Include a system image of drives” and click on Next.
- Select Change schedule.
- Now unselect the checkbox saying “Run Backup on a schedule” and click on OK.
- Now click on “save settings and run backup” to start backing up your selected files to the external storage device.
- Then remove the drive by selecting Eject from your Windows 7 PC.
Restore files on Windows 10
Follow these steps on your Windows 10 PC:
- Connect the backed-up drive to Windows 10 and then open Settings from Start Menu.
- Select Update & Security>Backup> Go to Backup and Restore.
- Now click on “Select another backup to restore files from“.
- Select backup created from your Windows 7 and then click Next.
- Click on checkbox “Select all files from this backup” and click Next.
- By defaults, files from backup are restored to the exact location where these were present before. But you can also choose a new place for these files to be copied by providing the path and location by clicking on “In the following location“.
- Then click on Restore which starts files to be restored on Windows 10 PC.
Furthermore, you can learn more ways to backup Windows files in this post.